UPMC Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center
Nearly 1.5 million Americans currently suffer from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), with an estimated 30,000 new diagnoses each year.
Yet, many people don't realize that IBD is a collection of chronic conditions — which includes Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis — that cause inflammation of the intestine.
The UPMC Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center has one of the largest IBD-subspecialist gastroenterologist teams in the nation, with several doctors devoted entirely to the treatment of IBD.
That kind of specialization means that we have deep expertise in this disease, its symptoms, and access to the most effective medications and treatments available.
Compassionate IBD Care to Improve Your Quality of Life
Our team understands the impact that this disease can have on a person's quality of life. In addition to lifestyle restrictions, IBD causes painful symptoms.
At UPMC's Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, we personalize care for the whole spectrum of IBD, addressing:
- Physical symptoms, as well as mental and emotional impact
- Contributing genetic factors
- Pain management
- Surgical referrals when required
We're also committed to a smooth transition from pediatric to adult gastroenterology care.
Why Choose UPMC for IBD Care?
Here's what differentiates UPMC's Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center from other centers:
- Our doctors take a cross-disciplinary approach to care, working closely with experts throughout the UPMC Digestive Disorders Center. These partnerships ensure coordinated care of every facet of IBD.
- Our center has a dedicated IBD specialist on-call around the clock to serve people on an inpatient, outpatient, or emergency basis.
- We are continuously searching for new and more effective methods of IBD treatment through our active research and clinical trial program.
- We also draw on the expertise of gastroenterologists from other medical centers across the United States. Regular physician education conferences allow UPMC gastroenterologists to share and exchange knowledge with colleagues, discuss treatment challenges, and collaborate on new treatment options.
Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Patient Support Groups
UPMC partners with the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation to host support groups for patients diagnosed with IBD. To learn more about these support groups and the dates and times for upcoming meetings visit the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation support groups page.