Treating Ulcerative Colitis
The following treatment options can help to control or prevent the severity of ulcerative colitis symptoms.
Medicines for Treating Ulcerative Colitis
Many types of medicines are available to treat ulcerative colitis, such as:
- Aminosalicylate medicines
- Other biologic treatments
Avoiding certain foods may help ease symptoms.
These foods are different for each person, but may include:
- Dairy foods (due to lactose intolerance)
- Highly seasoned foods
- High-fiber foods
Surgery for ulcerative colitis:
- Is necessary for people who do not respond to medicine or who develop cancer
- Cures the disease
- Eliminates the risk of ever developing colon cancer, as the entire rectum and colon are removed
After removal of the colon, you may have a permanent end ileostomy (stoma bag) or an ileal pouch anal anastomosis (no external bag).
Additional Resources from our Health A-to-Z Library