Every sport bears a risk of injury, and many people today, from children to adults, play a wide variety of sports. Sports injuries are common among athletes, and often require physical rehabilitation to allow the injury to heal completely and prevent further damage.
At the UPMC Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, we have board-certified specialists in:
Our team offers individually focused, customized care plans for adult athletes of all levels, including adaptive, senior, and wheelchair athletes.
Sports-related Injuries We Treat
Sports injuries can occur during a game or match, due to overuse, or a lack of appropriate training. More common injuries include sprains and fractures however some injuries, such as head trauma, are more severe and call for additional levels of care.
Other sports-related injuries treated within the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation include:
Treating Sports Injuries
At UPMC our goal is to bring athletes of all levels back to optimal strength, flexibility, and endurance as their injury allows. Patients will first be examined and tested on an individual basis to determine the best course of rehabilitation.
Depending on the severity and type of injury, an overall care plan may include:
- Physical therapy exercises
- Pain management exercises and techniques
- Adaptive equipment training, such as bracing or using a wheelchair
- Sport-specific training and rehabilitation exercises
- At-home physical therapy exercises to perform between appointments
Other, more specialized treatment methods for sports-related injuries include:
Medical Treatments and Services
- Coordinated care with athletic trainers, physical and occupational therapists, and chiropractors
- Nutritional recommendations
- Weight-loss strategies