Behavioral Health Referrals
Traditional Acute Care
Several options exist for patient referrals to the traditional acute care behavioral health unit at UPMC Northwest:
- Patients, along with their family members, should report to the UPMC Northwest Emergency Department if they are seeking behavioral health services.
- Patients already at other hospitals or emergency departments may request to be transferred to the behavioral health unit at UPMC Northwest.
- Primary care physicians, psychiatrists, or other medical or behavioral health professionals may inquire about services by calling 814-676-7700, or direct patients to the Emergency Department at UPMC Northwest.
Extended Acute Care
Referrals for UPMC Northwest's Extended Acute Care Unit will come from an inpatient treatment team for an individual who is already a patient on an acute care unit. The process involves several components and acting parties.
- The necessary contacts from the referring inpatient team are made including contacts to the county mental health office, and the potential EAC program.
- The referring team completes the EAC referral packet which is forwarded to the necessary parties for review on the appropriateness of this level of care for the individual.
- A comprehensive disposition meeting is held involving the referring agency, the potential EAC, insurance companies, and the county representatives.
- Once admission is agreed upon by all parties, the process of admitting the individual starts.
- Primary care physicians, psychiatrists, or other medical or behavioral health professionals may inquire about services by calling 814-676-7700.