All of the doctors at the center are faculty members of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, in either the Division of Pulmonary Medicine or the Department of Neurology. They are experts in the care of patients with sleep disorders. All of our sleep physicians are board certified in sleep medicine.
Many of our doctors are national and international leaders in the care of patients with sleep disorders. They have held leadership roles in organizations such as the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the American Thoracic Society, and the Sleep Research Society. They regularly give talks to other sleep physicians as well as health care professionals more generally to educate them on the latest research in sleep medicine.
Our doctors strive to advance sleep medicine treatments by taking an active part in sleep medicine education and research.
As part of the center's commitment to education, medical students and doctors in training including both residents and fellows, may assist your doctor with your care.
Our advanced practice providers, which includes both nurse practitioners and physician assistants, provide care to patients in collaboration with our doctors. They are highly trained in sleep medicine and can review your sleep study results, go over treatment options, provide strategies to troubleshoot any problems you have with treatments, and closely monitor your response to treatment.
Sanjay R. Patel, MD, ATSF, FAASM – Director, UPMC Comprehensive Sleep Center
- Mazen El Ali, MD – Director, UPMC Sleep Laboratories
- Venkatesh Krishnamurthy, MD – Director, UPMC Sleep Clinics
- Avinash Aggarwal, MD – Director, Restless Legs Syndrome Program
- Deborah Gillman, PhD – Director, Insomnia Program
- Jennifer Newitt, MD – Director, Chronic Respiratory Failure Program
- Charles W. Atwood, Jr., MD, FCCP, FAASM
- Priya V. Borker, MD
- Rachel J. Givelber, MD, FAASM
- Paula M. Jernigan, MD
- Simin Khavandgar, MD
- Patrick J. Strollo, Jr., MD, FCCP, FAASM
Advanced Practice Providers