About this Exam
A computed tomography (CT) scan is a special computerized x-ray test that allows your doctor to see your organs, bones and tissues. This test is done to help diagnose various disease processes in the chest. Your doctor or radiologist, if appropriate, may request that you receive contrast through a vein in your arm to aid in that diagnosis.
- If you will not be receiving intravenous contrast, no prep is required. Please skip to "Day of Exam."
- If your doctor or radiologist wants you to have intravenous contrast, please follow the instructions in the next section.
Prior to this Exam
- Do not eat anything 4 hours prior to this exam. You may have clear liquids. If you are a diabetic, you need to contact your family physician for instructions on diet and/or medication.
- If you have an iodine, x-ray dye, or contrast allergy, please contact the radiology nurse at 814-877-6182.
- If you meet one or more of the following criteria, you will need blood work to evaluate your kidney function prior to this exam. Please contact the ordering physician if you:
- Are age 65 or older
- Have diabetes
- Have a history of multiple vascular surgeries/procedures (for example, open heart surgery, stent placement, or heart catheterization)
- Are currently receiving chemotherapy
- Have a history of kidney failure
- Were born with one kidney OR if you had a kidney removed surgically
Day of Exam
- For your convenience, we ask that you wear clothes that do not have any zippers, snaps, or pins in the area we are scanning. Any item that is metal in the area of interest will need to be removed prior to your exam.
- You should report to Outpatient Registration 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
After Your Exam
You can plan on returning to your normal diet and activities. If there are any other instructions, they will be given to you at the time of your exam.
For questions or concerns, please call 814-877-6182.
Your physician should have the results of your exam in 2-3 working days.
If you need your films or CD for an appointment, please notify the receptionist in Radiology when you arrive.