UPMC Stroke Institute
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability and the fifth-leading cause of death in the United States.
Our Stroke Treatment Centers
Patient outcomes improve with early action in treatment and restoring blood flow. Therefore, it is critical that treatment start as soon as possible. For every hour's delay in medical treatment, the brain loses 120 million cells.
Experts at the UPMC Stroke Institute are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and feature both primary and comprehensive stroke centers. Our team uses advanced therapies to treat stroke with the goal of restoring cognitive and physical function.
A Comprehensive Stroke Center is available at:
Primary stroke centers are available at:
Why Choose the UPMC Stroke Institute?
- The UPMC Stroke Institute is a leading provider of high-quality medical and surgical stroke treatment, including the groundbreaking mechanical thrombectomy procedure.
- UPMC neurologists and neurosurgeons are among the national leaders in stroke therapy and can offer patients advanced or investigational stroke therapies not available at other stroke treatment centers.
- Our stroke experts see more than 1,500 patients each year, and provide consultation for hundreds of others through the UPMC Stroke Telemedicine Program.
- The UPMC Stroke Institute has three locations that have been awarded Primary Stroke Center Certification and one location that is a certified Comprehensive Stroke Center.
About the UPMC Stroke Institute
The institute focuses on:
- Quality patient care — employing a multidisciplinary approach. Learn about stroke quality outcomes at UPMC.
- Clinical research — flourishing clinical research programs.
- Educational efforts — ongoing education for health professionals and the community.
Stroke Institute in the news
Links open a new window:
Stroke Update 2018
Download conference presentations (PDFs) from the experts below:
- Jessica Berry, MD
- Anson Conrad Smith, MD
- Bradley Gross, MD
- Tudor G. Jovin, MD
- Maarten G. Lansberg, MD, PhD
- Christian Martin-Gill, MD, MPH
- Stephanie Paolini, MD
- Natalia Perez da la Ossa, MD, PhD
- Matthew Starr, MD
- Lawrence R. Wechsler, MD
Make an Appointment for Stroke Care
To make an appointment, complete a UPMC Stroke Institute contact form or call 412-232-8840.